There has been much research on the benefits of baby signing. If you need any further information on any of the papers below, please contact us.
- Acredolo, L. & Goodwyn, S. (1988)
- Symbolic gesturing in normal infants.
- Child Development, 59, 450-466.
- Acredolo, L. & Goodwyn, S. (2000)
- The long-term impact of symbolic gesturing during infancy on IQ at age 8.
- (Paper presented at the meetings of the International Society for Infant Studies, Brighton, UK).
- Goodwyn, S. Acredolo, L. & Brown, C. (2000)
- Impact of symbolic gesturing on early language development.
- (Journal of Nonverbal Behaviour).
- Griffith, PL. (1985)
- Mode-switching and mode-finding in a hearing child of deaf parents.
- Sign Language Studies 48: 195-222.
- Iverson, JM. & Goldin-Meadow, S. (2005)
- Gesture paves the way for language development.
- Psychological Science 16(5): 367.
- Moore, B, Acredolo, L. & Goodwyn, S. (2001).
- Symbolic gesturing and joint attention: Partners in facilitating verbal development.
- (Paper presented at the Biennial Meetings of the Society for Research in Child Development).
- Werner, H. & Kaplan, B. (1963)
- Symbol formation: An Organismic Developmental Approach to Language and the Expression of Thought.
- John Wiley, New York.
Further References of interest:
- Bates E. et al (1979)
- The emergence of symbols; Cognition and Communication in infancy.
- Cambridge University Press, New York.
- Daniels, M (1994)
- The effects of sign language on hearing children's language development.
- Communication Education 43: 291-298.
- Daniels, M (1996)
- Seeing Language: The Effect Over Time of Sign Language on Vocabulary Development in Early Childhood Education.
- Child Study Journal 26: 193-208.
- Daniels, M. (2001).
- Dancing with Words: Signing for Hearing Children's Literacy.
- Bergin and Garvey, Westport, Connecticut.
- De Villiers, J & De Villiers, P (1978)
- Language acquisition.
- Harvard University press, USA.
- Goodwyn, S. & Acredolo, L. (1993)
- Symbolic gesture versus word: Is there a modality advantage for onset of symbol use?
- Child Development 64: 688-701.
- Goodwyn, S. & Acredolo, L. (1998)
- Encouraging symbolic gestures: Effects on the relationship between gesture and speech.
- The nature and functions of gesture in children’s communication, p61-73.
- Wilson, R. et al (1985)
- The Use of Signing and Fingerspelling to Improve Spelling Performance with Hearing Children.
- Reading Psychology 4: 267-273.